Curb and Sidewalk Replacement Project
This project consists of the removal and replacement of defective curb and sidewalk throughout the Village. The Village has been divided into regions which are proactively surveyed on a 3-year cycle (Inspection Map). In addition to any defective curb and sidewalk found during the survey, residents can contact the Village at 708-366-8500 to be placed on an inspection list. Once preparation for the next project begins, those placed on the list will be contacted by Village Staff.
Sidewalk replacement falls into three different categories:
Category #1 - 100% Village Cost - The Village will pay 100% of the cost for replacement of those sections of sidewalk that contain qualifying trip hazards or are substantially damaged.
Category #2 - 50% Village/50% Resident Cost - The Village will split the cost of replacement with the adjacent property owner if there is some damage present, but it does not meet the requirements of Category #1.
Category #3 - 100% Resident Cost - If a resident requests that public sidewalk be replaced as part of the Village Project, but it does not meet the criteria of Category #1 or Category #2, the Village will still manage the replacement but it will be at 100% Resident cost.
In addition to replacement of the public curb and sidewalk, the Village also allows for the replacement of private residential driveway aprons and private carriage walks. As these only serve a private use they will be at 100% Resident Cost, however, the benefit of receiving the Village’s unit pricing should allow for the replacement at a cheaper rate than an individual resident would typically receive.
2017 Project Information
This work will once again take place throughout the Village. Depending on the contractor and weather, it can be completed within a relatively short period of time. The construction typically takes place between mid-June to mid-August.
- 9/14/17 - Village Staff have been working with the contractor to identify "punchlist" items that remain to be completed. These are small restoration-related items that should not affect access at any time. The contractor has indicated that they intend to return during the week of 9/18 to complete this work.
- 8/10/17 - This project is substantially complete. Final inspection of the landscape restoration will take place in the coming days, however, all concrete work has been completed.
- 8/3/17 - Work is more than half complete on this project. The contractor started at the south end of the Village and continues to head north. We are currently anticipating substantial completion by the end of this week.
- 7/13/17 - Work on this project will be starting on Monday (7/17) with concrete removals. This portion of the work will take approximately 3 days. For any residents that will experience disruption in their driveway access, concrete removal will not take place until Wednesday. Notices will be delivered to each of these homes on Monday. The entire project is anticipated to last approximately 2 weeks. Please use caution at all locations where sidewalk has been removed. Barricades will be placed at these locations to warn of the missing sections.
- 6/16/17 - Staff is wrapping up inspections for all 2017 work. For any work involving a shared cost between the Village and the property owner, payment will need to be submitted by next Friday, 6/23. This is to ensure Staff can adequately complete the scope of work for the contractor.
- 5/10/17 - Sidewalk inspections will start up toward the end of May. Anyone that has already called and asked to be placed on the list for an inspection will be contacted. Inspections will continue through June. Work is anticipated to take place between mid-July and mid-August.
- Village Staff is currently taking requests to be added to the 2016 list. Please call 708-366-8500 for any inquiries or to be added to the list.