Grading permit

A Grading Permit is required for any proposed change in grading. The ordinance, which was adopted in 2012, requires that these changes be designed by a Licensed Professional Engineer and completed in a manner that does not adversely impact any neighboring property or the public right-of-way. A copy of the current Grading Permit Ordinance (Title 4, Chapter 17) can be viewed here

Please note that new permit applications and contractor licenses must be applied for online at

Need help applying online? Registering as a new user?

Click here and navigate to "Engineering Permits" for the application form.

Accordingly, most land disturbing activities require a grading permit with the following essential components:

  • $50 permit fee + pass-through costs for Village-hired engineer to review the grading plan
  • Notification of project to neighbors
  • Signed affidavit confirming notification to neighbors
  • Topographic survey (as determined by Village Engineer)
  • Site grading plan completed by a professional engineer (as determined by Village Engineer)
  • Stormwater management plan to control run-off (as determined by Village Engineer)
  • Inspections during construction (as determined by Village Engineer)
  • As-built survey upon completion of the project (as determined by Village Engineer)

Note: There is not a separate application for a grading permit. The permit requirement and approval will be marked on the general permitting application.

Projects that require a grading permit include but are not limited to:

  • Construction of new homes or buildings;
  • Addition to an existing structure that changes 10% or more of the existing structure’s footprint;
  • Garages or auxiliary structures that change 10% or more of the existing structure’s footprint;
  • In-ground or above-ground swimming pools;
  • Patios, driveways or other impervious surfaces including sidewalks and parking lots (surfaces constructed with pervious materials are exempt);
  • Landscaping that changes the grade of the site such that existing drainage flows will be altered;
  • Any project that includes the creation of a foundation;
  • Land disturbing activity proposed within a floodway or floodplain as established by FEMA;
  • Any land disturbing activity that equals 25% of the lot or one acre in area, whichever is less;
  • Demolition of any building or structure.

Work hours in the Village of River Forest:

  • 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. - Monday through Friday
  • 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. - Saturdays
  • No work on Sundays, New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving or Christmas


Contact Building Development Services & Zoning

  • (708) 714-3552
    (708) 366-3702 fax
  • 400 Park Avenue
    River Forest, IL 60305
    Get directions
  • Mon: 8:00am to 7:00pm
    Tue–Fri: 8:00am to 4:30pm