Plumbing permit

Plumbing permits are required for the safety and protection of the community.

Please note that new permit applications and contractor licenses must be applied for online at

Need help applying online? Registering as a new user?

Plumbing Permits

Required for:

  • Bathtub/Shower Replacement
  • Boilers and Heating Units
  • Sewer Repairs and Clean Outs
  • Drain Tile (Interior and Exterior)
  • Garbage Disposal Units
  • Hot Tubs, Jacuzzis and Spas
  • Installation of Chemical Dispensers
  • Interior Piping Changes
  • Lawn Sprinkler Systems
  • New/Additional Sinks
  • Relocating Fixtures
  • Sewer Service Changes and Sewage Disposal Systems
  • Fire Sprinklers
  • Street or Parkway Openings
  • Sump or Ejector Pumps
  • Swimming Pools
  • Water Service Changes

Plumbing permit applications must be signed by the Registered Supervising Plumber who must have a current State of Illinois Plumbing License.

A Letter of Intent is required along with all plumbing permit applications. The letter shall be written by the licensed plumber on record's business stationery and shall include the license holder's signature and corporate seal, if applicable. If there is no corporate seal, the letter must be notarized.

Plumbers performing work in the public right-of-way must also submit:

  • An original signed $25,000 surety bond signed by the principal of the company specifying "Excavation" or "Sewer/Drain" listing the Village of River Forest as the obligee
  • A certificate of insurance with a minimum of $1 million general liability per occurrence  and $2 million general aggregate;  Village of River Forest, 400 Park Ave., River Forest, IL 60305 named as the Certificate policy holder; and the Village of River Forest, its officials, employees, agents and volunteers named as Additional Insured

Click here and navigate to "Trade Permits" for the application form.

Work hours in the Village of River Forest:

  • 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. - Monday through Friday
  • 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. - Saturdays
  • No work on Sundays, New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving or Christmas


Contact Building Development Services & Zoning

  • (708) 714-3552
    (708) 366-3702 fax
  • 400 Park Avenue
    River Forest, IL 60305
    Get directions
  • Mon: 8:00am to 7:00pm
    Tue–Fri: 8:00am to 4:30pm