Real estate transfer tax

When a real estate property is sold in River Forest, a tax equal to $1.00 for every $1,000 (or fraction thereof) of consideration must be paid. This is the responsibility of the property seller. 


Amount sold for
Divide by 1,000
Multiply by $1.00
Final amount owed
$410,750/ 1,000 = 411
411 x $1.00= $411

Transfer stamps will be issued when all documents and debts due to the Village have been paid.  See below for all required documents and procedures that need to be completed to receive the stamps:

  • Complete transfer tax form
  • A Water and Sewer Service application
  • MyDec PTAX-203 Illinois Real Estate Transfer Declaration Form

  • Complete all forms and email to or completed forms can be dropped off at Village Hall (400 Park Avenue). Staff requests five (5) business days' notice from when all required documents have been received. Forms received after 2pm will be processed the next business day.
  • A water and Sewer Service Application is required for residences, townhouses, and apartments. (The application is not needed for condo units if utility billing is paid through the condo association.) The buyer's email address and phone number should be submitted with the application.
  • Once all required documents have been received, staff will work with the primary contact to schedule a zoning inspection for the next available Monday or Thursday morning. 
  • Transfer stamps shall not be issued unless all water, sewer, refuse assessments, judgments from the Ordinance Enforcement Department, liens, encumbrances, and other debts due to the Village are paid in full for the property.
  • Payments are accepted by mail or in person at Village Hall. When all debts and the final water bill have been paid, the transfer stamps and zoning certificate will be issued.  These can be picked up or mailed out to the contact on file. (Stamps must be taken to the closing and filed with Cook County.)

Transfer tax form

Application for water & sewer service


Contact Administration & Finance

  • (708) 366-8500
  • 400 Park Avenue
    River Forest, IL 60305
    Get directions
  • Mon: 8:00am-7:00pm
    Tue-Fri: 8:00am-4:30pm